Funding for People with Disabilities:
A Resource List
The Foundation Center libraries collect funding directories useful to individuals with disabilities and the nonprofit organizations that support them. This list contains citations to print resources, as well as links to web sites and online resources from a variety of public and private organizations. Individuals may seek additional guidance by referring to GrantSpace's Knowledge Base Article Where can I find information about funding for individuals with disabilities?, and nonprofits may find supplementary information by browsing Fundraising for Health: A Resource List.
For other articles and books useful to people with disabilities, search the Catalog of Nonprofit Literature, the Center's bibliographic database. To assist individuals whose disabilities make visiting a Foundation Center library or Cooperating Collection either impossible or a hardship, the Center offers special borrowing privileges.
Resources for Individuals
- Foundation Grants to Individuals. New York, NY: The Foundation Center, annual.
- Profiles foundation programs that make grants to individuals for education, arts and culture, general welfare, and more.
- Schlachter, Gail Ann; Weber, R. David. Financial Aid for the Disabled and Their Families. El Dorado Hills, CA: Reference Service Press, biennial.
- Provides current and comprehensive information about hundreds of scholarship, fellowship, loan, grant, and award programs established and designed primarily or exclusively for the disabled or members of their families.
- Schlachter, Gail Ann. Funding for Persons with Visual Impairments. Large print ed. El Dorado Hills, CA: Reference Service Press, annual.
- Describes scholarships, fellowships, loans, grants-in-aid, awards, and internships.
- Web Sites
* indicates staff pick
Resources for Nonprofits
Books and PDFs
- Foundation Center. Grants for Mental Health, Addictions and Crisis Services. Digital edition. New York, NY: Foundation Center, annual.
- Lists more than 6,500 grants made by over 900 foundations for psychiatric hospitals, mental health centers and clinics, hotline/crisis intervention services, alcohol, drug and substance abuse prevention and treatment programs, mental health counseling and support groups, family, pastoral, and bereavement counseling, addictive disorders, Alzheimer's disease, developmentally and learning disabled, and special education and research.
- Foundation Center. Grants for People With Disabilities. Digital Edition. New York, NY: Foundation Center, annual.
- Lists more than 8,700 grants more made by approximately 970 foundations for Alzheimer's disease, arthritis, autism, blindness, cerebral palsy, deafness, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson's disease, prevention information, diagnosis and evaluation, education, family counseling, general care, hospitals, medical and dental care, primary care facilities, rehabilitation, vocational training, schools, and scholarships.
- The Complete Directory for People with Disabilities: A Comprehensive Source Book for Individuals and Professionals. Millerton, NY: Grey House Publishing, Inc., annual.
- The directory contents include foundations, national and state agencies and associations, camps and exchange programs, manufacturers of assistive devices, clothing, computer equipment and supplies, print and electronic media, living centers and facilities, libraries and research centers, and conferences and trade shows.
- Schalock, Robert L. and Miguel Ángel Verdugo. A Leadership Guide for Today’s Disabilities Organizations: Overcoming Challenges and Making Change Happen. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes, 2012.
- Provides guidance to leaders of disabilities organizations to help them manage change in order to become more effective, efficient, and sustainable. Includes a self-assessment to determine how well they are facing top challenges. Chapters cover outcome measurement, evidence-based practices, and performance-based evaluation systems.
- Web Sites
- Foundation Directory Online
- Search the Foundation Center's comprehensive database of U.S. grantmakers and grants for funders that have an interest in organizations that support people with disabilities.
- Philanthropy News Digest Request for Proposals (RFP)--Disabilities
- Browse the latest requests for proposals from grantmakers.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- Use the advanced search form to browse the catalog of federal assistance programs by beneficiary type "Disabled (e.g. Deaf, Blind, Physically Disabled)" (69) to find grant opportunities for organizations that serve people with disabilities. See also Grants.gov.
- Disability Funders Network
- While the Disability Funders Network is not a grantmaking organization, the web site contains a grantseeking guide for employment networks.
- The Disability Resources Monthly (DRM) Guide to Disability Resources on the Internet
- This web portal includes resources on public and private funding for nonprofit organizations and researchers working with people with disabilities.
- The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS)
- Through its various grant programs, the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services provides grants for research, education, and the rehabilitation of people with disabilities.