Securing Corporate Partnerships: A Resource List
- National Directory of Corporate Giving. New York, NY: The Foundation Center. Annual.
- Profiles more than 3,500 corporations that make contributions to nonprofit organizations through corporate foundations or direct-giving programs. Entries provide a description of the company and its activities and specific information on giving programs and foundations, including: contact information, financial data (with assets, high and low gifts, and amount and number of employee matching gifts), purpose and activities, limitations, types of support, application information, and sample grants (when available). Includes guidelines for grantseekers, a glossary, and bibliography. Call Number: 100 FC NAT
- National Directory of Corporate Public Affairs. Washington, DC: Columbia Books. Annual.
- Provides profiles of approximately 2,600 companies identified as having public affairs programs, and lists approximately 13,000 corporate officers engaged in public affairs. A separate section provides an alphabetical listing of names, showing the company that employs that person, his or her correct title and address, and if and where the individual is registered as a lobbyist. Call Number: REF 047 NAT
Corporate Research and Fundraising Guides
- Lysakowski, Linda. Raise More Money from Your Business Community: A Practical Guide to Tapping Into Corporate Charitable Giving. Rancho Santa Margarita, CA: CharityChannel Press, 2012. Call Number: 720 LYS
Corporate Philanthropy Statistics
- The Foundation Center. Key Facts on Corporate Foundations. New York, NY: The Foundation Center. Annual. Available online.
- Giving USA: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year. Indianapolis, IN: Giving USA Foundation. Annual.
- Muirhead, Sophia A. The Corporate Contributions Report. New York, NY: Conference Board. Annual survey. Call Number: 438 CON COR
- Note: The Chronicle of Philanthropy conducts an annual corporate giving survey of large companies.
- Kone-Miller, Nzinga. "Meeting Your Match: Using Matching Gifts to Supercharge Your Online Fundraising Campaign." Grassroots Fundraising Journal, vol. 30 (May-June 2011) p. 13-4.
- Matching Gift Register. Leesburg, VA: HEP Development Services. Biannual. Call Number: 135 MAT
Sponsorship and Collaboration
- Austin, James E. The Collaboration Challenge: How Nonprofits and Businesses Succeed Through Strategic Alliances. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2000. Call Number: 609 AUS
- Daw, Jocelyne. Cause-Marketing for Nonprofits: Partner for Purpose, Passion, and Profits. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2006. Call Number: 723 DAW
- Martin, Patricia. Made Possible By: Succeeding with Sponsorship. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2003. Call Number: 726 MAR
- Salopek, Jennifer J. "New Ways to Select Sponsorships." Associations Now, vol. 7 (June 2011) p. 42-5.
- Skinner, Bruce E. and Vladimir Rukavina. Event Sponsorship. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2003. Call Number: 726 SKI
- Thompson, Waddy. "Grant Writers and Corporate Sponsors." NonProfit Times, vol. 23 (1 June 2009) p. 16-7.
- Ukman, Lesa (ed.) IEG Sponsorship Sourcebook: The Comprehensive Guide to Sponsors, Properties, Agencies and Suppliers. Chicago, IL: IEG, Inc. Annual. Call Number: REF 568 IEG
Related Books and Articles
- The A to Z of Corporate Social Responsibility: A Complete Reference Guide to Concepts, Codes and Organisations. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- Abshire, Michael. "CEOs and the Corporate Conscience." Corporate Philanthropy Report, vol. 18 (May 2003) p. 1, 3-5.
- Austin, James E. "Strategic Collaboration Between Nonprofits and Businesses." Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, vol. 29 (Supplement 2000) p. 69-97.
- Corporate Philanthropy: The Age of Integration. Indianapolis, IN: Indiana University Center on Philanthropy, 2007.
- Hyatt, Susan A. Strategy for Good: Business Giving Strategies for the 21st Century. Denver, CO: GoodWorks, 2011. Call Number: 550 HYA
- Kotler, Philip and Nancy Lee. Corporate Social Responsibility: Doing the Most Good for Your Company and Your Cause. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2005. Call Number: 438 KOT
- Lewis, Nicole. "Vying for Corporate Support." Chronicle of Philanthropy, vol. 19 (23 August 2007) p. 14, 16.
- Lim, Terence. Measuring the Value of Corporate Philanthropy: Social Impact, Business Benefits, and Investor Returns. New York, NY: Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, 2010. Call Number: 438 LIM
- Male, Richard I. "Fundraising from Corporations: Old and New Approaches." Grassroots Fundraising Journal, vol. 23 (July-August 2004) p. 10-14.
- Porter, Michael E. and Mark R. Kramer. "Strategy and Society: The Link Between Competitive Advantage and Corporate Social Responsibility." Harvard Business Review (December 2006).
- Rhomberg, Barbara. "Gift Acceptance Policies - Why, When, What, How and Who." Charitable Gift Planning News, vol. 25 (March 2007) p. 1-11.
- Visser, Wayne. The Age of Responsibility: CSR 2.0 and the New DNA of Business. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Call Number: 438 VIS AGE
- Weeden, Curt. Smart Giving is Good Business: How Corporate Philanthropy Can Benefit Your Company and Society. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2011. Call Number: 550 WEE
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- The biweekly publication contains information and news on numerous topics including fundraising and corporate giving.
- The Corporate Philanthropist
- Formerly known as New Century Philanthropy, the quarterly periodical from the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy covers best practices and corporate giving trends.
- Corporate Philanthropy Report
- The monthly periodical from LRP Publications focuses on the philanthropic efforts of specific industries in every issue.
- Grassroots Fundraising Journal
- The bimonthly periodical provides articles to help organizations develop community-based resources, with occasional articles on corporate support.
Foundation Center Tools
PHILANTHROPY NEWS DIGEST
- Philanthropy News Digest
- A weekly compendium of news events in the world of philanthropy and the nonprofit sector.
- RFP Bulletin
- Contains information about new grant opportunities offered by foundations and other grantmaking organizations, including corporations.
- Corporate Giving Online
- Our subscription-based service focusing on corporate grantmakers. Search profiles of over 4,100 corporate donors, along with over 300,000 associated grants, and access details on the sponsoring companies. Available for free use at Foundation Center libraries.
- Foundation Finder
- A free lookup tool that provides basic information on grantmakers in the U.S., including company-sponsored foundations and direct corporate giving programs.
- Foundation Directory Online
- Our subscription-based service that allows you to search the Foundation Center's own comprehensive database. The Professional subscription plan includes all direct corporate giving programs as well as company-sponsored foundations. The "Search Companies" feature provides background information on over 3,500 companies. Available for free use at Foundation Center libraries.
- Top Funders
- Includes a list of the top corporate grantmakers ranked by assets and total giving.
- Knowledge Base Articles
- Contains over 125 well-researched answers to questions on a wide range of topics including corporate philanthropy.
- Research Studies
- Provides descriptions of and highlights from our Foundations Today series and special reports on particular segments of foundation philanthropy, including corporate philanthropy.
- Catalog of Nonprofit Literature
- Stay current with new books and articles on the topic of corporate philanthropy by searching the unique contents of the Foundation Center's libraries.
Other Web Sites of Interest
RESEARCHING SPECIFIC PROSPECTS
- Corporate Affiliations Online
- Available by subscription, the online directory covers U.S. public companies, U.S. private companies, and international public and private companies. Available for free use at Foundation Center's libraries.
- David Lamb's Prospect Research
- The Company/Executive Info section of David Lamb's Prospect Research Page has a collection of links that are useful in pinpointing information on a specific corporation's charitable giving interests.
- Provides a searchable database of nonprofits to help match organizations with potential donors. Free registration is required to view basic reports.
- Hoover's free service provides company information on public and private enterprises. In-depth information is available by subscription.
- Investor Relations Information Network Annual Report Research Center
- Corporate annual reports are available at the Investor Relations Information Network (IRIN). Reports for more than 2,500 companies can be accessed in PDF and HTML formats.
- Provides information on more than 60 million companies worldwide, including 13 million businesses in the U.S.
- Security and Exchange Commission EDGAR Database
- The Security and Exchange Commission's (SEC) EDGAR Database is a useful resource when seeking information about public companies, that is, companies whose stock is traded publicly. The database contains an archive of all the financial documents filed with the SEC since 1994.
CORPORATE CITIZENSHIP AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Accountability Central
- Delivers important content through specific accountability "channels" - corporate governance, social investing, shareholder activism, financial reporting, ethics, and others with breaking and up-to-date news and information.
- Aspen Institute
- The international organization fosters "enlightened, morally responsibly" leadership by bringing together leaders and policymakers to address the challenges in various areas including business and philanthropy. A number of the Aspen Institute's research publications and reports are available for download.
- Boston College Center for Corporate Citizenship
- The institution's web site contains a knowledge center, which includes a number of documents and reports on corporate responsibility that are available at no charge.
- Business Committee for the Arts
- The Business Committee for the Arts helps businesses collaborate with arts groups. The web site includes information on its programs, excerpts from lecture series, news articles, as well as survey data on business support of the arts.
- Business for Social Responsibility
- This membership organization's web site includes an online library of reports and resources that focus on corporate social responsibility.
- The Cause Marketing Forum
- The Cause Marketing Forum seeks to "help companies and nonprofits do well by doing good." The web site links to case studies, best practices articles, news, and other tools to help you learn about cause marketing.
- Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
- The international membership organization works with businesses and nonprofits to promote corporate giving. The web site contains several reports, including the Corporate Philanthropy Resource Guide to serve the corporate giving community.
- The Conference Board
- Visit the Conference Board web site to find out more about its research on corporate social responsibility, corporate philanthropy, and other topics.
- The Council of Better Business Bureaus
- Search the Better Business Bureau databases to see whether a business or a charity meets its accreditation and accountability standards.
- The web site is a distribution center for corporate reports and press releases related to corporate social responsibility.
- FSG Social Impact Advisors
- Provides advice, ideas, and research programs to accelerate the pace of social progress. The web site contains articles on corporate social responsibility.