Posted on June 22, 2012
Manager, Media Strategy
Rainforest Alliance - Manager, Media Strategy
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behaviour. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Media Strategy Manager will be responsible for developing strategies for the distribution of news and other content for the public via all the Rainforest Alliance’s communications channels worldwide. S/he will develop media messages, releases and pitches aimed at US media, will manage campaigns that directly engage consumers and will ensure that the Rainforest Alliance is using the most effective communications tools as they become available.
- Develop media outreach strategies and consumer campaigns for the organization as a whole and for specific targeted audiences in order to meet programmatic objectives;
- Write and edit press releases, story pitches, media advisories and op-eds in English, and specifically for US media;
- Cultivate US media relationships, pitch stories to journalists and continually seek out new media opportunities;
- Coordinate closely with staff and representatives working with media in other countries to ensure media messages are consistent;
- Keep abreast of emerging media platforms, assess their cost effectiveness and adjust the organization’s use of new tools as appropriate;
- Track and measure effectiveness of the communications tools used by the organization; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or Journalism;
- 7-10 years experience in professional work environment;
- A minimum of 8 years experience in journalism, nonprofit or corporate communications;
- Proven track record in strategic media outreach work;
- Strong project management and organizational skills;
- Experience managing staff;
- Demonstrated interest in conservation, corporate social responsibility and/or international development issues;
- Superior written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility and willingness to work independently on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; and
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway, Suite 500, New York, NY 10012; Fax: 212-677-2187; If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title and position you are applying for.