Posted on August 3, 2012
Program Manager (Time-limited)
CFY - Program Manager (Time-limited)
ABOUT CFY: CFY is a national education non-profit that helps students in low-income communities, together with their teachers and families, harness the power of digital learning to improve educational outcomes.
CFY pursues this mission through the combination of its groundbreaking K-12 learning platform, PowerMyLearning.com, and its on-the-ground direct service initiative, the CFY Digital Learning Program. PowerMyLearning makes best-in-class digital learning activities easily accessible and usable to meet the full range of K-12 learning needs. It is an integral part of CFY’s Digital Learning Program which is conducted in partnership with low-income public schools to increase home technology access, extend learning beyond the classroom, and deeply engage parents in the learning process. The program provides training for teachers, students, and their parents along with a free broadband-ready home computer loaded with educational software and 24×7 bilingual help desk support.
To date, CFY has served more than 50,000 families from over 100 schools nationwide and has demonstrated significant impact on student achievement, student engagement, parental confidence, and broadband adoption. To extend the impact of its work even further, CFY operates an of over 30 organizations in more than 20 states and the District of Columbia.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Program Manager will oversee the scheduling, implementing, and problem-solving around the Digital Learning Program and manage school relations for approximately 15 schools. The Program Manager will work closely with a team of Program Managers and Program Coordinators and directly report to a Senior Manager, Family & Community Engagement.
Digital Learning Program (DLP) 70%
Ensure effective implementation of CFY programs with assigned partner schools:
Manage relationships with assigned CFY partner schools:
Serve as the CFY relationship owner with project staff from partner school, with primary responsibility for school satisfaction and program outcomes.
Schedule and attend partnership, logistics and evaluation meetings.
Coordinate and conduct student outreach days at CFY partner schools; this includes giving presentations to groups of 20-200 students.
Lead partner school's teacher professional development.
- Manage DLP program logistics with assigned CFY partner schools.
Oversee all preparatory work leading up to Family Learning Workshops.
Serve as the site manager for three to four DLP workshops per month during the school year: coordinate workshop activities, oversee workshop staff, Family Trainers and volunteers, provide a welcome address to the families, and problem solve as needed to ensure that workshops run smoothly.
General Program Responsibilities 30%
Participate in CFY-NYC weekly program meetings, staff meetings, off-site trainings and retreat.
Manage up, by being proactive and keeping manager informed of changing priorities.
Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve overall team goals.
Contribute new ideas regarding CFY's program.
Understand and communicate the mission to staff, clients, donors, and other stakeholders.
Other duties as necessary.
Note: During the school year, this position is primarily a Tuesday through Saturday position, with exceptions on most holiday weekends.
- Passion for CFY’s mission;
- Bachelor's degree;
- One to two years of experience in program management;
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated experience leading large presentations and/or training sessions;
- Very detail oriented with strong writing skills;
- Strong relationship or “people” skills, including proven experience managing relationships with highly experienced professionals;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal oversight;
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects;
- Ability to set priorities for self, team and peers, and adjust when priorities change;
- Proficient using all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- One or more of the following:
- Experience working with public schools and/or districts;
- Experience working with low-income communities;
- K-12 teaching background;
- Experience managing teams;
- Experience in event management and/or planning.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. CFY also offers a generous benefits package.
CFY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, writing sample and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent compensation and stating how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following conventions:
Subject line: Program Manager Search
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Writing Sample: yourfirstname_yourlastname_writingsample.doc