Posted on August 4, 2012
HIP Housing - Development Director
HIP Housing is nonprofit agency dedicated to providing creative affordable housing solutions to those in need throughout San Mateo County. Founded in 1972, HIP Housing benefits from an exceptional staff, well-established programs and notable financial stability. HIP Housing’s programs have been highlighted in Newsweek, USA Today, Metropolitan Home and on the Oprah Winfrey Show.
Out team includes a staff of 18 with an average tenure of 9 years and a governing board of 16 recruited with an emphasis on diversity of skills and interests to assist in advancing our mission.
HIP Housing is seeking a passionate, self-motivated professional to join our team as Development Director. Individuals considered for this position will have experience building robust relationships and be able to convey a strategic fundraising vision to a variety of constituencies including public sector funders, foundations, high net worth individuals, corporations, the Board and staff. Strong writing and verbal skills are essential.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Development Director works closely with the Executive, Program, Finance and Special Events directors to provide financial stability to the $1.4M program budget and is directly responsible for the implementation of a long-term fund development strategy that is diverse and builds on HIP Housing’s existing strong foundation.
To oversee the implementation a comprehensive long-term fund development strategy including major donors, corporate partners, planned giving, outreach, social media and targeted events by:
- Managing the preparation and stewardship of government, foundation and corporate grants with the assistance of the Development Associate
- Implementing the annual Fall direct mail fundraising appeal
- Assisting with Board development and stewardship
- Supervising and assisting the Special Events Director and the Development Associate in the planning and execution of agency events
- Working with the program and development staff on consistent strategic messaging
- Managing the new Moves Management donor tracking system
- Working with the Finance Director in the preparation of the annual fundraising budget
- Acting as a liaison to the Board of Directors and Board Committees
- Leading and/or participating in public and major donor presentations
- Supervising and preparing annual reviews for a staff of two
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution or equivalent
- Proven success in nonprofit fundraising with an emphasis on grant writing and donor stewardship
- Experience and interest in major donor cultivation and stewardship
- A strategic and analytical approach to fund development that is outcomes driven
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently while remaining engaged in a strong, mutually respectful team
- Flexible, entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to inspire colleagues, staff and volunteers to get things done
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Experience in RaisersEdge database software a plus
- Previous staff management experience a plus
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position
- Salary depending on experience
- Excellent benefits package including, medical, dental, vision and employer profit sharing and matched pension plan (5%)
- Rotating Friday off scheduling
Please send resume and cover letter to by
Monday, August 20, 2012.
No phone calls please.