Posted on June 27, 2012
National Jazz Museum in Harlem
National Jazz Museum in Harlem - Program Associate
The Program Associate for the National Jazz Museum in Harlem aids the Artistic Director in realizing the Museum’s programmatic vision. Other responsibilities include supporting other Museum personnel with day-to-day operations regarding collections, exhibits, and research at the National Jazz Museum in Harlem. The position’s responsibilities include organizing and caring for the Museum’s collections both at its Harlem office and its remote storage facility, as well as maintaining the Museum’s presence in social media. The Program Associate is also responsible for investigating and analyzing museum systems methods, software, and materials as they relate to programming for the consideration by the Artistic Director and Executive Director. The Program Associate reports to the Artistic Director.
- Aid the realization of the Artistic Director’s vision by assisting every aspect of the Artistic Director’s work.
- With the consent of the Artistic Director, engage with the Executive Director and other staff to facilitate implementation of Museum programs.
- On behalf of the Artistic Director, maintain active communications with staff to assure organization-wide awareness of Museum programs.
- Maintain Museum’s internet/social media sites.
- Oversee advertising copy in conjunction with our webmaster/designers.
Curatorial Collection Management and Care
- Digitally transfer all forms of media for the Museum’s collection.
- Manage and care for the Museum’s collection of program media.
- Organize and archive collections at the remote storage facility.
Exhibit Planning and Execution
- Provide research and curatorial assistance for the Artistic Director regarding the development of upcoming exhibits.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director in the creative design of Museum layout and configuration.
- Support the installation and maintenance of Museum exhibitions.
Research and Organization
- Conduct research about program-related museum operations: systems, methods, software, and materials for office and exhibit use.
- Analyze options for the consideration of the Artistic Director.
Visitors Center Assistance
- As needed, provide assistance to the Visitors Center/Events Manager, volunteers and guests in the Museum’s Visitors Center.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in the disciplines of Anthropology, Music, Jazz Studies, Africana Studies, or Museum Studies.
- Experience working with museums and/or arts-related organizations. Experience with a jazz-related non-profit a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, enabling successful interaction with people both on the telephone and in-person.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of and facility with Microsoft Office, digital transferring software, and audio equipment. Mac and PC proficiency.
- Knowledge of and passion for jazz and visual design.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
The National Jazz Museum in Harlem
Manager of Office Operations
104 East 126th Street, Suite 2D
New York, NY 10035
If you are sending electronically, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, type: “Prospective Candidate: NJMH Program Associate.” We are not accepting phone calls or emails with questions at this time. We appreciate your interest.
Job Type: Program
Organization Type: Nonprofit Organizations